Filey is a small and friendly seaside
town and is an ideal location for anyone who likes an active holiday,
or for those who would like to relax, taking in the sights and
sounds along the five mile's of award winning beach.
The wildlife and bird
sanctuary on the rocky outcrop of Filey Brigg can be explored
along the nature trail which gives access to many rock pools full
of sea creatures. At very
low tide a ridge of rocks known as the Spittals, half way along
the Brigg, stretching out to sea can be seen and it has often
been suggested that it is the remains of a Roman pier, but more
recently opinion is that it is a natural rock formation. One of
the caves at the back of the Brigg is known as the "Emperor's
Filey had a population
of around five hundred in 1801, at which time it was a fishing
village straddling the border between the North and East Riding
of Yorkshire. With the coming of the railways in 1847 Filey began
to grow into a holiday resort, attracting many of the gentry.
Amongst the visitors was Charlotte Bronte who stayed at Cliff
House, which is now the Bronte Café.